Ford Fund to Award Customized Transits to Nonprofits with the Most Innovative and Effective Disaster Relief Solutions
- The Ford Disaster Relief Mobility Challenge is an opportunity for nonprofits to win a Ford Transit specially outfitted to meet the unique disaster response needs of their community
- Ford Fund will select the three most creative, impactful ideas submitted by nonprofits and their teams of experts to best utilize the capabilities and flexibility of a Transit
- As another hurricane season unfolds, Ford Fund is using innovative mobility solutions, such as the Disaster Relief Mobility Challenge, to help people and build stronger communities
DEARBORN, Mich., June 5, 2018 – The 2018 Atlantic hurricane season is underway and Ford Motor Company Fund wants to provide disaster relief teams with the best equipped and most capable vehicles when people need help.
Natural disasters can hit with a devastating punch, presenting first responders with unique and dangerous situations. Beginning today, Ford Motor Company Fund is accepting applications for the second Ford Disaster Relief Mobility Challenge, an opportunity for nonprofit partners to tap into their expertise and creativity to customize a Ford Transit to fit a particular need in their community.
The Ford Disaster Relief Mobility Challenge works like this:
- Applications from certified U.S. - based 501(c) 3 nonprofit organizations must be submitted by August 31, 2018 at fordbetterworld.org
- Winning entries will be selected based on proposed vehicle use, the unique challenge facing the community and the ideas deemed best at meeting that challenge with a Ford Transit
- Three grants of up to $70,000 each will be awarded to purchase a Ford Transit cargo or passenger van, and for the cost of equipping and customizing the vehicle
- Winners will be notified in September – during National Disaster Preparedness Month
“When natural disaster strikes, it is critical to move the right people, the right materials and the right vehicles to impacted areas to help people as quickly as possible,” said Jim Vella, president, Ford Motor Company Fund. “Nowhere is our mission to strengthen communities more urgent than in recovery efforts during the hours, days and weeks following a natural disaster.”
To view a video about this year’s challenge click here.
The first Ford Disaster Relief Mobility Challenge in 2016 produced many great ideas. The winning agencies – Catholic Charities, Team Rubicon and ToolBank – each received their vehicles last summer and put them to use supporting relief efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey in Texas.
Working together with our partners, Ford, its employees and dealers have a long history of responding to natural disasters with vehicles, volunteers and financial assistance. Since the wave of hurricanes and other disasters began late last summer, we have donated more than 40 disaster response vehicles to deliver food, water and medical supplies, contributed nearly $5 million to assist recovery efforts and mobilized thousands of volunteers.
Ford continues to innovate and advance its efforts to support people impacted by natural disasters. When Puerto Rico was devastated by Hurricanes Irma and Maria, Ford responded with pop-up resource hubs modeled after our Ford Resource and Engagement Centers. Vehicles were also provided as mobile resource centers to deliver services and supplies as part of Ford’s long-term commitment to the island’s recovery.
“We want to give first responders on the ground every advantage we can as they carry out their life-saving work under extreme and unpredictable conditions,” said Kyle Green, coordinator, Ford Fund. “Ultimately, we want to be there with tools and necessities to help communities get up and running again, and get people back on their feet.”
The Ford Disaster Relief Mobility Challenge supports the vision of Ford Motor Company to become the world’s most trusted mobility company.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan. The company designs, manufactures, markets and services a full line of Ford cars, trucks, SUVs, electrified vehicles and Lincoln luxury vehicles, provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company and is pursuing leadership positions in electrification, autonomous vehicles and mobility solutions. Ford employs approximately 202,000 people worldwide. For more information regarding Ford, its products and Ford Motor Credit Company, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.